Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Cabinets and Countertops - Part 2

Monday, September 3rd (Labor Day) - Today was a big day...  Countertops!  Father-in-law Kevin came over to help again.

We went with the Pragel stone effect black counters from IKEA.  They're beefy, a full 1.5" thick the entire depth.  Most laminate countertops are thick at the front, and then drop down to around 3/4" for the rest of the counter.  It also makes the 8' section weigh in at around 100lbs.

We had two 6' pieces, and two 8' pieces we needed to cut down to fit.  In hindsight, I wish we had gone with three 8' and 1 6' pieces...  The price difference between the 6' and 8' is only $10 ($59 for 6', $69 for 8'), and we would have had a large enough cutoff to put a matching countertop over the washer/dryer in the mud room.  Oh well.

First things first, we mounted the microwave.  Fairly simple process, take your time measuring and mounting the wall-mount plate, then it should tilt into place, and screw in to the bottom of the cabinet above it.  Make sure you cut your power cord and mounting holes in the cabinet first.  Before the microwave was mounted, we were concerned at how massively huge it looked.  Once it's mounted, you don't see much other than the door, so that was a relief.

After the microwave was installed, we brought the stove in from the garage, so we could confirm the mounting location of the final cabinet, a 3 drawer cabinet to the left of the stove, the only major design change from how the original 1960s kitchen was.

The weight and thickness of the countertops for some interesting cutting.  IKEAFans.com is a great resource for information on IKEA kitchens and other products.  I didn't have to post a single "How do I..." post, so many people have been there before with the same questions, all I had to do was read and find the answers!  Anyway, back to the cutting...  The suggestions from IKEAFans.com had me do the following:  Cut the countertops face down, with a 60 tooth Diablo ultra fine finish blade in my circular saw.  Use masking tape along the cut to eliminate (or at least minimize) any chipping of the laminate.  Go slow. I don't remember seeing this anywhere, but I would add in this:  Start your cut from the front of the countertop rather than the back.  Also, not sure if this is common sense or not, but the father-in-law suggested clamping a straight edge, in this case my drywall ruler, and using it as a guide for the circular saw.  It made for some nice, straight cuts.  Even with all of that preparation, we did still have some chipping.  Thankfully, because the countertops are so dark, a black Sharpie has done a nice job hiding some of the nicks!  I will probably look into some black silicone caulk and see if that helps cover it, as well as seal it.

Speaking of sealing, because the countertops are particleboard, you'll want to seal the edges, so water doesn't get in.  What I did was get a tube of clear silicone caulk, squeeze it on the cut side, and smear it in real good with your finger.  Dries fairly quickly, but stinks baaaad.

The toughest part of the entire day was cutting the hole for the sink.  I used a forstner drill bit at the four corners to get a place for my jigsaw in.  I then used a reverse blade, brand new, high quality Bosch.  The reverse blade cuts on the downstroke, minimizing laminate chipping.  Maybe I just didn't have the right blade, but cutting for the sink was a nightmare.  The blade end furthest from the saw kept bending and not cutting straight up and down.  The end result was an atrocious looking cut, that thankfully in no way took away from the structural integrity of the countertop.  Seal it with the silicone caulk like the other cuts.

I was pretty tired at that point, but as it seems with most nights, there's always little stuff that needs to be done.  Tonight was no exception, I cut holes in the back of the cabinets to access the under-cabinet lighting outlets.  Didn't feel like cleaning up for the picture, so you get a big-old-mess photo of the progress.


Tuesday, September 4th - Kevin came over to help once again.  We screwed down the countertops.  It was as easy as getting in the cabinets, carefully drilling pilot holes, and using the screws supplied with the cabinets to secure the countertops down.  We also mounted the faucet to the sink, and the sink to the countertop.  Faucet hoses too short, oops!

Speaking of faucet hoses...  I read many complaints on different internet sites about IKEA faucets, and how they're sized metric, and don't fit American plumbing systems correctly.  I had a moment of panic myself when the instructions said the US version comes with 9/16" hoses, and I knew that wasn't a normal size.  I looked at the PDF of the instructions on IKEA's site, and it said 1/2", so I think maybe it was a printing error?  Either way, once I found the right 3/8" to 1/2" hose extension at Menards (no easy feat), the faucet hooked right in, perfectly.

Running low on energy for big stuff, I finished the night by installing more cabinet doors, and mounting the first handles in the cabinet to the upper-left of the stove.



Wednesday, September 5th - Not much work done that night, as our Bible study is back to meeting after a summer break.  I did manage to install even more drawers and doors, so it visually looks like I did a lot more than I actually did.


That's it for Part 2.   Part 3 coming up shortly, with plumbing and dishwasher excitement!

12 comments:

  1. Was wondering how your counter top is holding up? We are looking at purchasing these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thought I'd reply again with another update... 2 1/2 years in, and the counters still look brand new. Did you end up purchasing them or go with another brand?

      Delete
  2. The countertop has held up excellent. Zero nicks, chips, stains, cracks... looks brand new, 8 months later, and my wife cooks a lot. And because they're full thickness, they feel very solid, not cheap and hollow like most laminate countertops.

    The only problem we've had, was poor workmanship on my part, when gluing the strip to the cut side of the countertop. Each piece of countertop comes with factory "edges", and if you have to cut it down to size, they supply strips that glue down to it. You'll want to use contact glue, it's like industrial rubber cement. I did that on the part to the left of the stove, and walking by it one time, my clothes caught it and broke a piece off. If I did it over again, I would have made sure there was a factory edge anywhere there was a chance to catch it.

    We were concerned about the silver strips where countertops meet, thinking they might would stick out. We don't even notice them anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted an update on how these are holding up! Would you mind posting or sending a pic of where pieces meet so I can see that joint? juliemrsn@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see a close up of this. Did you ever consider doing a miter joint instead of a butt joint at the corner?

      Delete
    2. I don't think I can attach my own picture, but here's a link to a photo online: http://www.ikea.com/au/en/images/products/fixa-worktop-cover-strip__0256574_PE400543_S4.JPG I briefly considered a miter joint, but the forums I was reading (and IKEA themselves) don't recommend it. I'm glad I didn't do a miter joint, because just cutting the opening for the sink in the countertop was excruciating. Almost 5 years later, and the metal strips still don't bother me. And the countertops still look brand new. :)

      Delete
    3. Hello, where did you get the metal strips? I need to purchase two and can't seem to find them.

      Thanks!

      Delete
    4. You may try contacting IKEA directly. Since they discontinued the AKURUM cabinets and the countertops I used, they don't have the metal FIXA strip anymore. It's different than the galvanized support piece they use the FIXA name on now.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you posted an update on how these are holding up! Would you mind posting or sending a pic of where pieces meet so I can see that joint? juliemrsn@gmail.com. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our Pragel mineral effect isn't holding up well next to our sink, where I have a dish drainer on a plastic tray. I really regret not going with quartz, or waiting for the butcherblock to come back into stock. Your kitchen really inspired me when we were planning and building ours! I just found this link today and wanted to see it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear your countertop isn't holding up. On the part that you cut out for the sink, did you seal it well with a generous amount of silicone? Between that and the grey putty stuff under the lip of the sink, we've had no moisture issues with our countertop.

      As far as quartz or butcher block, it's always something you could change in the future. I've always loved solid surface countertops, especially the ones with the built-in sinks. Super easy to wipe the counters right into the sink. Replacing the countertops is certainly something you could do, and you couldn't beat the price for the Pragel countertops.

      Delete