Wednesday, October 3, 2012

More under cabinet lighting

Still going slow on the final bits to get the kitchen all done.  Last week I installed the baseboard and door trim.  Much better looking than door gaps.  Also, I started the process of painting the doors.  Not a fast process, considering I have 2 doors, and 2 sides to each door, and need to put 2 coats of paint on each side, and each side has to wait a minimum of several hours.  And I only have 1 set of saw horses to paint the doors on..  (adds in head)  It's going to take a week or more to paint the doors, unless I want to build some fancy flipping door painting jig, or buy another set of saw horses.

So, in the mean time, I tackled the under cabinet lighting for the north/east cabinets.  There's a couple 45 degree bends as the cabinets turn the corner.  It was a test of my soldering skills, as the solder pads on the lights are rather small.


Yup, the solder pads are under there.  Somewhere.

I measured and "built" the strands in the basement, taping the strands down at the correct angle, since they're flexible and want to go everywhere.

When I was done, I had the following contraption:

Strand of lights, 45 degree angle, strand of lights, 45 degree angle, and strand of lights with power connector.

The solder stuck very well, I tested on a scrap, and was unable to pull the wire/solder off.

A quick drill through the cabinet to run the wire, and hooking it up to the dimmer, and here's the resulting light as seen from the porch:


Now I have enough light on that side, to install the tile.  I still need to cut, solder, and install the lights on the other side of the kitchen.  Then I'll have zero excuses for not finishing the tile.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment