Monday, April 30, 2012

Cabinet Building

After an amazing week of vacation, we're back, and ready to start the project.  I'm still working up the energy to go deal with the building and zoning department for permits, so I decided I would put some cabinets together. 

It's like Tetris, with particleboard.

I've got 12 of the 18 cabinets built so far.  No, there aren't two cabinets hiding, I just took the picture after I had built 10 of them.  After the 3rd or 4th simple wall cabinet (2 sides, a top, a bottom, and a back), I timed myself.  From tearing open the box, to nailing the last nail in the back: 12 minutes.  By no means did I rush, I made sure it was right. 


The base cabinets are a little harder to put together.  Of course, the first base cabinet I came to that had drawers, took me about 2 hours.  It came in 11 different boxes and bags.  1 frame,1 door, 2 interior drawer fronts, 3 drawers, 3 bags of dampers, and 1 handle.  It was the first time I'd been stumped with IKEA instructions.  The problem is, there are so many different ways you can use the different drawers, and they're all illustrated, not written out.  





As you can see, I have a nice collection of boxes going on.  Cut open and flat, they're great for protecting the garage floor when changing your oil.  Looks like I'll be set for the next couple years.

No comments:

Post a Comment