Thursday, July 26, 2012

Insulation inspection and more drywall hanging

I called and scheduled the insulation inspection for Friday.  The inspector called me and said he'd be there at 1:30, which he was.  Looked at it for a few minutes, told me I needed to plug the holes I drilled in the top plate for wiring, to prevent the spread of fire.  Passed me anyway, and at this point I'm down to 2 inspections, both final, and both able to be done at "any" time.  Meaning, none of my inspections are preventing us from doing any and all further work necessary to finishing the kitchen.

With that, Saturday morning, my father-in-law Kevin came over and we finished measuring, cutting, and hanging drywall on the walls.  It's finally resembling a room again!

A ceiling! And WALLS!
The last 2 inspections we have are final electrical, and final building. Final electrical is to confirm that all the outlets and switches are hooked up correctly. Final building is in my case, from what I gather, where they confirm that all the other inspections were approved, and that the building smoke detectors are installed correctly.  For other, larger permits, they would check to make sure handrails and banisters were correct for your steps, etc.  

Before I start taping and mudding and finishing the drywall, I decided to finish all of my electrical work, just to make sure that all of my wiring is indeed correct.  Were something to be wrong, I'm still at the stage where I could take out (a ton of) screws and access the wiring.  I'm happy to say as of Monday night, all outlets and switches, and the new recessed light over the sink is installed, tested, and working.

Also, since opening the wall in the kitchen exposed the tub valve, I installed an access panel for any future maintenance needs.

Open, with the adhesive clamped for a good hold.



It will be mostly behind the stove, and a few inches behind a new cabinet.  It's just a single cabinet on the end, so future removal shouldn't be too much of a chore.


I finished installing drywall around the new window.  I'm semi-sort-of winging it here, but it makes sense to me, so I'm just going with it.  I've got my corner bead left to install, and all the mudding, but I think the window should turn out well.


I call this composition "Taped wall, phone, and cat on a chair."


There's the south wall, and it's taped and ready for mud.  Most of the rest of the drywall wasn't put up as carefully, and there are 1/4" or so gaps between panels that I need to fill with mud first, before taping.  That will have to happen as-we-go.  Tonight (Thursday night) is mudding night.  Scary mudding night, because for the first coat, I'm using the recommended setting-type compound (mix it yourself) rather than the premixed in a bucket, which I am using for the other coats.  I bought the 210 minute stuff, so we'll see how it goes!  

2 comments:

  1. Insulation inspection and more drywall hanging is good post. I read it and get so amazing and great information that shared here.


    home insulation contractor

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got what you mean , thanks for posting .Woh I am happy to find this website through google. attic insulation removal and replacement

    ReplyDelete