Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Window Installation

When I cut the hole for the window, I promptly screwed a piece of plywood over the hole.  Who wants a big open hole in the side of your house?  Of course, once you have the hole for the window, who wants it covered with a piece of plywood? 

Thus, Monday night, I installed the window.  It was a pretty straightforward process.  If you'll remember my last entry, I picked up the window, and didn't see an obvious way to attach it to the rough opening.  I called Rosati Windows' Install department on Monday, to get instructions. They answered the phone quickly, and the guy I talked to was really helpful, and confirmed how I thought the windows should install.

I put Tite Seal 4" self-adhesive flashing around the opening, and stuck the window in.  Shim it, level it, etc.  Drill a hole in the frame, but only partway, and then screw through shims into the studs. Only on the sides and top, not the bottom.  Finish it off by plugging the holes with vinyl plugs.

For finishing the outside of the window, I had leftover foam backer rod from when I sealed a gap between the basement walls and floor.  I stuck the backer rod all around the opening, and cut some PVC window trim to finish it off.  I hadn't worked with the stuff before, but it cuts super easy, is water proof, doesn't rot, doesn't need painting.  I drilled holes through the stucco, squirted some good quality white silicone caulk in the holes, and screwed the trim to the frame.  Then, more silicone caulk around the entire trim, and done!

Our second east facing window, if you count the garage.



Now that the window is in, I can have the framing inspection, which is precisely why I took the day off today.  That, and I'm having the plumbing (vent stack) inspection today, too.  Two inspections, one day off, seemed a wise way to do it.  Once those two inspections have passed, I can drywall the ceiling and get the attic insulation back in place, and put my Roxul insulation in the walls, and hopefully get the kitchen a little less toasty in all this heat.  Once that's in, and I take, yes, another day off for the wall insulation inspection, I can put drywall on the walls and get receptacles and switches installed.  Finish the drywall, paint, floor, and then it's finally to the cabinet and counter top stage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment