Sunday, May 13, 2012

Achievement: Permits Acquired

After almost 2 hours in the Building and Zoning Services office...  I have my permits. 

Since the Building and Zoning Services office is only open from 9am-4pm on weekdays, I took a 1/2 day off work on Friday to go down there.  There were lots of people praying for me, and it helped, because when I got there about 1:15pm, the place was almost empty.  Remember that.  Within just a few minutes, I was able to meet with the plans examiner, who went over everything I had. 

The "bad" news is that in the state of Ohio, any building permit issued requires the smoke detector system be brought up to code.  This means smoke detectors in each living area, outside of each living area, and on each level.  No big deal.  Except they need to be hardwired and interconnected.  Big deal.  But not a huge deal, as I will have access in the attic to run the smoke detectors.  Just a pain, and an additional expense. Safety First though, so that's why "bad" is in quotes.

For the window we're adding, I have to put in 2 2x6 studs vertically as a header.

The good news for the plumbing is that instead of a $200 permit, I'll just need the $75 "minor limited scope of work" permit.  Saved $125 there.

Examining the plans took around an hour, and included a visit by the main plumbing inspector, to sign off on my idea for routing the vent stack up through the top plate.  They marked up my plans with additional notes and "code related" things I wasn't aware of.  For one, you can't use regular rubber couplings to go between copper and PVC for vent stacks, they need to be shielded couplings.  Also, where I hole-saw through the top plate, I'll need to use a "Boca plate" vertically, to reinforce the studs and protect the fittings. 

Once I was done with the plans examiner, and my list of work was approved (the hard part), I took a number to wait for someone at the counter to get the actual permits themselves.  Remember me saying how the prayer helped?  The office was packed at this point, with several people waiting to see the plans examiner.

I had number 99.  They were at 92.  Not bad, took about 15 minutes to get through 96, 97, and 98.  Then they called 101.  I asked, "How about 99?"  "99 it is." the clerk said.  Lots of typing by the clerk at the counter, and $540 later, I had my permits.  I had questions about the inspection process, so she sent me downstairs to the inspection department to talk to them.

More prayers answered, as I ask the receptionist to speak to the main inspector dude, and she says, "He's in a meeting upstairs right now...," looks up and continues, "Actually, he's out of the meeting and walking up right behind you."

I ask the inspector my questions about inspections.  I didn't ask enough questions, because I'm still not entirely sure what work has to be done at what point.  I'll need to research more.  But as far as work and inspection order, what I have written down is this:

  • Do the electrical work (but don't cover it).
  • Do the plumbing work (but don't cover it).
  • Get a rough electrical inspection.
  • Get a rough plumbing inspection.  (actually, this should be the only plumbing inspection, since it's considered "minor scope of work")
  • Install the new window.
  • Insulate.
  • Get a framing and insulation inspection.
  • Drywall, finish.
  • Get a final inspection.
So...  Now the stress of getting the permits is gone!

Sadly, it was quickly replaced with the stress of actually doing the work the permits were issued for.  It wouldn't be so bad if we weren't planning on living in the house during the whole process.  It's going to be interesting to see how we'll live in a house with a non-functioning kitchen for (hopefully just!) a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment