Friday, May 18, 2012

Our Temporary Kitchen

Our Temporary Kitchen is actually in several rooms.  Food prep is on the buffet in the entryway, plates and glasses are in the laundry room, dining is in the living room, the fridge is going to go in my office (if it fits), and the coffee maker is on the old microwave stand, also in the living room.  If you know us, you know we're pretty neat and tidy, so this arrangement is already driving us nuts.





If I can manage it, the old sink base/sink is going to be hooked up temporarily in the basement.  We'll see tonight, because tonight is...

Base Cabinet Removal Friday Night


Yes, last night was the big move-out of all things not nailed down, screwed down, or too heavy for my wife and I to move.


I've had very little experience with plumbing, so I wanted to cut my teeth on something simple.  The ice maker.  I shut off valves to everything in the kitchen, and grabbed some wrenches.  It was thankfully quite easy, the valve did its' job of shutting off the water, and nary a drip was to be found.

So, back to Base Cabinet Removal Friday Night... My goals for tonight:

  • Turn off breaker to dishwasher and garbage disposal.
  • Disconnect power from dishwasher and garbage disposal.
  • Double-check that water is turned off to the dishwasher and sink.  :)
  • Disconnect plumbing from dishwasher, garbage disposal, and sink.
  • Move dishwasher into garage.
  • Move stove into garage.
  • Move refrigerator into office.
  • Remove countertop backsplash.
  • Remove countertop.
  • Remove base cabinets.
  • Build a little wooden frame around the hot and cold water pipes, so I don't kick/trip over them and bust a water line.
  • Tape/otherwise mount the plastic sheeting that will (hopefully) protect the rest of the house from insulation and drywall dust.
I'm pretty much going to print that off and make it my checklist.  Big plans, I know.  I was hoping to have some of the above list done last night, in hopes of having enough time to tear into the soffit tonight.  Considering the mess that will make and the time it will take to contain the attic insulation, it looks like that will have to wait for another day.  

Bonus picture of Charlie being curious:


No comments:

Post a Comment