Thursday, May 31, 2012

First Electrical Circuit

Our local Menards had a sale recently, 11% off everything in the store, in the form of a store credit you can use on a future purchase.  Knowing I was going to need quite a bit, I took advantage of the discount, picking up a large selection of single and double gang boxes, junction boxes and covers, a couple of "dura-core" doors (for the mudroom/basement doors that open into the kitchen), smoke detectors (hardwired), and as long as we're saving money, I picked up our 200 amp panel, some breakers, some electrical cable, and our wall tile.

Since I'm now at the electrical stage, I needed to learn, taa-daa, electrical.  I found a great book on Amazon, and our amazing library had 3 copies in stock at our local brand.  It's called Black and Decker: The Complete Guide to Wiring.  Absolutely amazing book, it has been quite helpful in the whole process.

Armed with my newfound knowledge, I set about picking a simple wiring job.  How about a nice, dedicated 20amp microwave circuit?

Wire feeding up from basement.

"roughed in" box
I don't have a picture of where it runs to in the basement, but it goes to where the breaker panel, is labeled, and has a few extra feet of wire coiled up.

I picked up a few more tools to make the electrical easier.  That first circuit, I cut the wire sheath with a utility knife.  It cut easy, but there's the possibility of nicking insulation on the wires, so I got a neat multi tool that safely cuts the sheath, and can also be used for stripping wire, bending loops on the ends for switches and receptacles, and also holds wire nuts to make twisting them easier.

Tonight, it's on to more wiring.  After I mow our horrific lawn.

Finally, because she likes to be in the middle of everything, here's a bonus cat picture of Charlie on the scaffold board, which is currently a handy workbench, and her after wedging herself into the box my breaker panel came in.



No comments:

Post a Comment